Nov 20, 2006

“I never counted the feathers in the wings. . . . I just count the wings.”






Charles Harper is an illustrator that I have fallen in love with. I feel like I have known his work all of my life and yet I just discovered him. Thanks to a resurgent of his work, DWELL magazine did a great interview with him on their site.
l plus Todd Oldhams’s set of resin trays with ladybugs (a featured item that most home magazine’s are featuring this month, designed for la-z-boy) that were inspired by Charles Harper. His work takes me back to the illustrations of the 60’s and 70’s. He makes a great statement about how his work progressed into his graphic

Style Yes. I started realizing that in order to get a whole bunch of stuff on a piece of paper, you had to simplify it. So a Rocky Mountain or something like that, you couldn’t fit everything in, but you could get the impression by flattening it out. That appealed to me. “

Here are a few of my favorites. Also check out the illustrations from the original Betty Crocker's Dinner for Two (1958) recipe book as well as The Golden Book of Biology (1962)

No comments: