Sep 14, 2006

In the Recoup




I always seem to forget about the big let down. The depression that occurs when you work so hard in your studio. Working towards a show, working day and night, and then….its done. Out of the studio, out of the house. Hanging in some stranger’s house. People drinking and eating and saying god knows what about my work. Or worst, not even noticing it. You don’t know.
You have the big opening. The cheese plate and the wine and the beer that you have to drink to cover up the nervousness. The fact that you keep thinking of all the invites you sent out and who said they were coming. They don’t all come of course. I am guilty of that one, so I can’t be angry. I am very happy by my guests. Even some wonderful unexpected guests! People from many different period of my life. The ages ran from 4 months on. The babies were wonderful! I think we made the owner’s mother a little nervous. We took over the bar and ordered dinner. I wish I remembered my camera before then to take more pics. But here is the left over gang! The work looked terrific. I know if I painted really bad landscapes or portraits of cute children I would have sold out. I took a closer look at the clientele of the Salt Tavern. A strange hip older crowd.
The work will be up until November, so go see.

No comments: